Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What We're Reading Wednesday


We've been enjoying a lot of read-alouds this week, and I've been getting plenty of my own reading time in.  The weather has been crummy and the boys have been sick, so it's the perfect time to curl up with a warm latte, plenty of blankies, and some sweet stories. 

King Arther and his Knights by Mabel L. Robinson.  I've inherited a few Landmark books from my sister over the years and they are perfect historical read alouds for kids.  The content is good, and the vocabulary isn't dumbed down, the text is larger which may appeal to younger readers and there are illustrations every few pages to keep A interested.  J seemed to have a hard time settling into it but has started asking questions about unknown words over the past couple of days so I know he's paying attention.  Even A has stopped me to ask for a few explanations as we've gone along.  Bonus: They have finally figured out that raising their hands and waiting until I give them my attention is far more effective than blurting out an interruption or continuously taping me on the arm while I'm reading.

 
The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne
Everyone should read Winnie-the-Pooh, child or adult.  I love Milne's writing and the illustrations in this book are adorable.  J loves the stories even if he doesn't get all of the little jokes that are snuck into the text.

Particular favorites:
When Christopher Robin is reading a secret message that Pooh received in a bottle during a spring flood...
"But it's from Piglet!" cried Christopher Robin when he had read it.
"Isn't there anything about Pooh in it?" asked Bear, looking over his shoulder.
Christopher Robin read the message aloud.
"Oh, are those 'P's' Piglets? I thought they were Poohs."

and when they are off to rescue Piglet...
"Now then, Pooh," said Christopher Robin, "where's your boat?"
"I ought to say," explained Pooh as they walked down to the shore of the island, "that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends."
"Depends on what?"
"On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."


 
S. by J. J. Abrams and Doug Dorst
I won't go into too much detail yet because I'll write a post about it when I'm done, but I'm slightly obsessed with this book.  After seeing an interview with the creator, J.J. Abrams, on The Colbert Report, The Mister made sure this was under the christmas tree.  Briefly, J. J. Abrams had the idea to write a story within a story. S. contains what appears to be an old library book, The Ship of Theseus, in which two people begin to leave each other notes.  Between the pages are letters, pictures, post cards, and newspaper clippings that they have left for themselves and each other.  I'm still working on reading The Ship of Theseus before I go back and read through all of their notes.  It's hard to stay focused on the text and I keep sneaking peeks at the notes scrawled all over the margins.  The attention to detail is incredible!


Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland
I'm not giving up on this book, but I'm having a hard time staying into it.  The story revolves around a painting, Girl in Hyacinth Blue,  and begins with the most current owner.  It begins going back through time telling the story of how the painting ends up where, but it's a bit jumpy for me and it's been difficult to keep up with it when I'm sneaking in ten minutes at a time.


The Life Changing Lessons of JK Rowling by Willian Wyatt
This came across on one of my free eBook lists so I figured it was worth a try.  Nothing earth shattering yet, but it does have some interesting background info on JK Rowling's life for those that are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment